Saturday, August 20, 2011

Post Roast Experiment - Success!

This week I found this recipe for a pot roast done in a slow cooker. It looks really good and I like the fact that it has butternut squash as an ingredient. However, once I really read all of the directions, I saw that the recipe required more time than I was able to give. I was going to be gone all day, returning only in time to eat. I wouldn't be able to add the squash the last two hours, much less do all the simmering and whisking. So . . . here's my version:

1 3-4 pound lean beef chuck roast
1 large sweet onion
2 cups baby carrots
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
hickory flavored liquid smoke - about 1/3 bottle
1/4 cup strong coffee
1/4 cup water

Cut onion into wedges and put in crock pot with baby carrots. Brown roast on all sides in olive oil then transfer to crock pot. Pour 1/3 of bottle of liquid smoke on meat. Combine water and coffee and pour over meat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to your liking. Cover and cook 4 to 5 hours on high or 7 to 8 hours on low.

The smoke and the coffee really compliment each other well. I never would have thought of using coffee to season a roast, but I'm going to use it more often!

What are some of the most unusual, but successful, flavor combinations have you tried?


No comments: