Monday, January 02, 2012

Jolly Biscuit Ring Saga 2011/2012

This is my first holiday season to be gluten free. I wasn't that worried, to be honest. My sister-in-law made a small pan of her macaroni and cheese with GF noodles, I made GF green bean casserole, I wasn't tempted to fill up on rolls or biscuits, and (most) pie filling is GF so I can just avoid the crust. And since I'm not celiac, I can cheat with a taste here or there. (Happily, I didn't over do the tasting so I didn't get any tummy troubles.) The only fly in the ointment was to be our family favorite Jolly Biscuit Ring.

My mom found the recipe for Jolly Biscuit Ring many, many moons ago from either the side of the Bisquick box or a recipe book sponsored by Bisquick. Either way, it was a Bisquick recipe. It's been the staple holiday breakfast food in my life from an early age. I can't watch a holiday parade without a plate of Jolly Biscuit Ring in front of me. Being GF hasn't been the burden that I envisioned it to be when I started, but I still hadn't faced a Christmas morning without the gooey goodness of JBR.

Christmas morning I started the Bisquick batch for the family. Yes, I'm a good wife/mom/daughter! Earlier in the year I had tried a GF biscuit mix to make biscuits and to make pancakes and . . . well . . . I would rather never have pancakes again. Ick. I was not about to sully the Jolly Biscuit Ring with that mix. However, I had a box of Hodgson Mill GF Pancake and Waffle Mix that I hadn't opened it yet so I thought I'd at least try a small batch of JBR with that. I thought that maybe a pancake mix would have a better flavor and consistency than a regular biscuit mix. Oh, mama.

Because the mix has flax seed in it and, most likely, because the mix is gluten-free, the consistency is definitely different. It's more crumbly and less flaky. But, I ask you, is that bad in a coffee cake? No, no it isn't. And I am overjoyed to say that I will never have to have a holiday without a Jolly Biscuit Ring.

Gluten Free Jolly Biscuit Ring

Topping:
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons brown sugar
12 maraschino cherries
1/4 chopped pecans

Dough:
2 cups Hodgson Mill GF Pancake and Waffle Mix with Flaxseed
3/4 cup milk

5 tablespoons butter, melted
3/4 cup sugar mixed with
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

Heat oven to 400℉. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in bundt pan in oven about 5 minutes. Take the pan out and sprinkle brown sugar over the melted butter. Follow with cherries and nuts. (I also pour a little bit of cherry juice in - a tablespoon or so.)

Combine pancake mix and milk just until moistened. (You might use a little more or a little less milk than the 3/4 cup - it depends on what consistency you want.) Shape dough into small balls that you drop into the second batch of melted butter then roll in the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Drop the dough balls into the pan evenly around. Drizzle any leftover butter and cinnamon/sugar over dough. Bake 20-25 minutes. Invert immediately onto serving plate and serve warm.

Serves one. Or more if you get to the kitchen in time.

1 comment:

Melissa Tyler said...

Victory! I'm so glad. Having a mix you trust (to work, and to not make you sick) makes so much more possible!

And I love: Serves one. Or more if you get to the kitchen in time.