Monday, March 12, 2012

Gardening 2012

I loved having a garden last year. Of course, I chose the driest year in recorded history to start my new obsession, but we made it work.

This year I have decided to start the garden from seeds (mainly). Last week, before the deluge, I planted four rows of carrots. I figure, we love carrots so . . . why not?

Today I started tomato, basil and pepper seeds inside. Here's the scoop:

I got these little "kits" from Wal-Mart for $1.00 each. Yes, I know I probably should have gone to The Natural Gardener like I did last year, but we are on a serious Budget (capitalized because it has taken on a life of its own) so I need to cut corners whenever and where ever I can.


I used the pots provided, but they had significant drainage holes. I didn't want to make a huge mess so . . . .
I added a coffee filter.




Then added water to the little pellet they provided. That was fun!


Put the seeds in and covered them up.




Then I misted the top of the soil to make sure the seeds had enough moisture to start germinating.


I labeled them all and now they'll go in a window to sprout!





I'll let you know how they turn out.

I just went out to check my carrot seeds. I hadn't expected any sprouts yet, but I also didn't expect what I found . . .

Interesting indentations plus . . .
A tuft of hair on the fence above equals . . .
perhaps the neighbor's cat used this area as a getaway? Horacio has nuthin' on me! (Cue "YEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!")

No comments: