Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Oh, THAT'S What Nit Picking Means! (And . . . Thank you Joss Whedon)

Buddy brought home the ultimate Mother's Day Gift on Friday - lice.  Woo to the hoo!  This was my first experience with the little creepers.  How my brother and I dodged that bullet, I'll never know.  I remember getting checked for lice a couple of times a year at school, but I was never one of the lucky ones who had them.  *shiver*

Luckily, it looks like we caught them early.  I found less than a dozen adults in his hair on Friday.  I didn't want to use any chemicals, so I went for the natural treatment of smothering the bugs with olive oil.  You douse the hair with olive oil and then leave on a shower cap for 10-12 hours.  That suffocates the adults.  You still have to pick out all the nits and eggs and stuff like that, but you have to do that with chemicals, too.  The olive oil smells much nicer.  And his hair and scalp are nice and healthy.

Looks like we're winning the war, too.  I read where the adults do not lay eggs for a few days after they mature, so if I stay on top of it we should be able to eradicate this little colony.  The eggs that I miss (and I'm sure to miss some) will hatch in 1 to 2 weeks so I'll retreat with the olive oil this coming weekend.  He hates it, but he doesn't fight it.  Thank GOODNESS!

All of this comes on the heels of waiting and WAITING for news about financial aid for Princess for the fall.  None of the classes that I was going to teach made so this news is important.  I have picked up two classes to teach (one is a one day per week class, the other is a two day per week class), so that helps.  But it doesn't cover what we need covered.

Saturday was a very rough day.  It was kind of the perfect storm.  I had promised Princess that I would take her shopping alone that morning.  When I made that promise, I did know 1) that Hubby has to work every Saturday in May and 2) that I would need to spend an ungodly amount of time playing Mama Monkey and picking nits out of my son's hair.  Princess got weepy, Buddy was squirmy and my blood pressure was rising.  Add to all of this the fact that I needed desperately to buy groceries (no milk, no cereal) PLUS we were trying to work around a volleyball game, an end of the season volleyball party and a re-scheduled family movie night and . . . hello Xanax.  So . . . Saturday was not a good day.  Until 5:45.

Thank you, Joss Whedon.  Thank you for pure escapism.  Thank you for the cathartic moment (for me) involving Hulk and Thor.*  Thank you for writing a story and dialogue that transcends age and gender.  Thank you for providing me and Hubby with the opportunity to see our children's enjoyment and delight.  Thank you to the actors/actresses for believing in your characters and having a total blast with the story and with each other.  The Avengers was the perfect way to end a stressful day.  Just wonderful. 

I'm still waiting on a decision from the school about financial aid.  At least I have some more nit picking to keep me busy until word comes down. 

*SPOILER ALERT - I could totally relate to Hulk having so much rage and energy that he just needed to punch one more thing.  Never mind that that one thing was an ally.  He just needed that release.  I get it, Hulk.  I get it.

No comments: