Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Man of Steel Tonight

Ah yes, another perk of being a blogger - movie preview passes!  Tonight Hubby and I are going to see Man of Steel.  I'm very excited for several reasons.

DATE NIGHT!  We don't get out much.

FREE DATE NIGHT!  We don't get out much.

SUPERMAN!  I don't get out much.

Seriously, though, SUPERMAN!!!!  I watched reruns of George Reeves' TV Superman.  I saw Christopher Reeve's movie Superman in the theaters several times and then any time it came on cable.  My kids know Christopher Reeve's world and characters.  They are timeless and classic.  Who could NOT love Gene Hackman?  Ned Beatty?  Margot Kidder's Lois Lane was SO awesome!

I skipped the last reboot.  I liked the idea of Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor.  I liked it a lot, but when the reviews came out so lackluster, it wasn't worth it to me to gamble the ticket money.  For some time now, ticket money and date time has been hard to come by so when we do make the time and commit the money, it's GOT to be worth it.  Or at least the promise has to be worth it.

But tonight I can relax because it's FREE!  The "fee" is writing a review on my blog by Thursday.  No problem!  Loving it!  And I'm cautiously optimistic about the film.

I like Zach Snyder.  I liked Watchmen.  I thought he did a beautiful job with that film.  I read Watchmen when it came out - devouring each story the DAY it came out and cursing the 30 days in between issues.  Snyder did what he could with a brilliantly drawn and potentially confusing story.  As a fan, I liked it very much.  I don't see how anyone who didn't know the series could have followed it.  That's where it died, in my opinion.  (Of course, I haven't seen it since I saw it in the theater.  I may have changed my opinion had I seen it more than once, or since then.)  But I like Snyder's visual style and I like that he seems to really care about the story and the characters in the story.

I have very little idea what this story is going to be.  It seems to be a bit of the origin story and then a bit of General Zod's story.  I am purposefully staying away from any spoilers so that I can go into the film as clean as possible.

In anticipation of tonight, here's the latest trailer from Nokia for Man of Steel.  Come back tomorrow (late) for the review!

Man of Steel Nokia Trailer

No comments: