Thursday, February 11, 2016

Day 2 - Giving Up Your Comfort Zones

Have you ever had a friend or family member who continually complained about something, yet when a solution was offered, they rejected it?  They found all the reasons that the solution wouldn't work - and maybe they made up some reasons along the way.  They could just be difficult people.  But they could also be afraid.  Afraid of failure (see yesterday's post), but also afraid of change.  Afraid to get out of their comfort zone and find a new path.

Sometimes our comfort zone is uncomfortable and we're so comfortable with that, we resist the change.  I'm guilty of this sometimes.  Even if an outcome is painful or uncomfortable or annoying or whatever, I KNOW what that outcome is going to be.  I can prepare for it.  I can see it coming.  I know what to expect and how to deal with it.

BUT . . . if I choose a different course, take a different path, change one little thing . . . the outcome is not assured.  I won't know what's coming and I won't have time to prepare. 

The website today asks if there is anything in my life that I want to change and what is keeping me from making that change.

I want to write more.  I compose blog entries all the time in my head, but when I sit down . . . nuttin.  I find other things to do - some legit like making dinner and doing laundry, but some not legit like playing a game on my phone or feeling that I'm wasting my time.

I want to read more.  But sitting down to read for pleasure makes me feel guilty for not doing something "legit".  (See above paragraph.)

I want to see more art - more stage, more films, more installations.  But don't I have other things to do?  (See above.)

My comfort zone is normalcy - taking care of what needs to be done, keeping up with friends on Facebook, filling the interim time with texts and getting to a new level on Paint Monsters.  I know how to do that.  And when asked (IF asked) why I don't read/write/view more, it's because I have so many other obligations.  I don't have time.  And pick up the foot and move it forward . . .    

Two years ago I took a step out of my comfort zone.  I auditioned for a production of Fiddler on the Roof.  That step has led to more steps.  I've now done three productions with Austin Jewish Repertory Theatre (the company that produced Fiddler) and I serve on their executive committee.  The invitation to serve there nudged me to apply to the Board of Directors for the kidsActing Foundation.  They accepted my application and I've been on the board for over a year.  I now have ties with several theatre companies in Austin and go to see at least one play a month.

I have a history of success with stepping out of my comfort zone.  Well, with one comfort zone.  I know I have others.  I need to be prayerful and look to see which ones are in the crosshairs now.

No comments: